The Best DSLR & Mirrorless Camera For Every Price
Best Image Quality DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras
This infographic shows which interchangeable lens digital camera offers the best image-quality in any given price range. DSLRs are on the left and Mirrorless are on the right. Follow the infographic straight down to stay within the type. Let the blue path guide you through the best image-quality at every price regardless of camera type, while the mauve one connects all mirrorless which are smaller and lighter than comparable DSLRs.
Click on any camera to see its full-specifications and our review, when available.
- The dominant determinant of image-quality is sensor-size, then technology. A smaller sensor can eventually catch to a much older cameras, yet this is unlikely between current models.
- Image quality on any Interchangeable Lens Camera is highly dependent on the lens. Prepare to pay an amount similar to the camera for good optics. Whatever you do, skip the kit lens to get sharp images.
- The low price of the Nikon D3300 makes it the gateway to high image-quality. It is basic, but it delivers.
- Fujifilm prices their X-E2S so low that they wiped out all smaller sensor cameras from the chart. The now discontinued Fujifilm X-E2
Fujifilm X-E2 is virtually the same as the X-E2S since Fujiflm delivered its functionality as a firmware upgrade to the predecessor.
- While Pentax makes the lowest price weatherproof DSLRs, the cheapest weatherproof mirrorless is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 which did not make it into this infographic due to having a smaller sensor.
- Pentax really shows its highly-acclaimed value propostion. Their cameras use the same Sony sensors as most Nikon while being offered at a much lower price-point with more professional features than their peers.
- Even though it succeeds the X-E2S in number, the Fujifilm X-E3
Fujifilm X-E3 is incredibly small and easily delivers the best image-quality to size ratio of any digital camera.
- All prices in USD and current on February 2018 as available at Adorama. Support us by buying using these links. Taxes and duty extra, when applicable.
Neocamera Blog is a medium for expressing ideas related to digital cameras and photography. Read about digital cameras in the context of technology, media, art and the world. Latest posts links:
Nikon Z50 Review
The first Nikon APS-C mirrorless is built around a 20 MP BSI-CMOS sensor with ISO 100-204800, 209-Point Phase-Detect AF, 11 FPS Drive and 4K Video capability. Compact body with dual control-dials and 2.4 MP 0.39" EVF with 0.68X magnification, 100% coverage and an Eye-Start Sensor.
Mirrorless Digital Camera Buying Guide 2020
The Mirrorless Digital Camera Buying Guide was fully rewritten for 2020, including all new systems from Nikon, Canon and Leica joined by Panasonic and Sigma. This new extensive 2020 Edition shows in 5 simple steps how to choose a mirrorless camera.
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Review
This highly capable and compact mirrorless ranked as Best Beginner Mirrorless Digital Camera of 2019. Its 20 MP Four-Thirds CMOS sensor with Anti-Alias Filter is pared with 5-axis stabilization to maximize sharpness. Features a tilting 2.8 MP 0.39" EVF with large 0.7X view and Eye-Start sensor in a body with dual control-dials.
Best Digital Cameras of 2019
The Best Cameras of 2019 awarded by Neocamera: Best Travel-Zoom, Best Premium Compact, Best Ultra-Zoom, Best Mirrorless and Best DSLR.
10 Gifts Photographers Will Love
The 2019 gift guide for photographers showcases photography gear that amateur and enthusiasts will enjoy. It is divided into 3 price categories to suit different budgets from $50 to $200 USD.
Sony Alpha A7R IV In-Depth Review
The newest Sony high-resolution mirrorless packs a 61 MP Full-Frame BSI-CMOS sensor on 5-axis Sensor-Shift system. It shoots at 10 FPS, records 4K Ultra-HD video and focuses with a new 567-Point and 425-Area Hybrid AF system with Realtime tracking. This professional-grade camera features a 5.8 MP 0.5" EVF with 0.78X magnification, 100% coverage and an Eye-Start Sensor plus triple control-dials in a weatherproof body. This review shows exactly how the A7R IV performs and compares to top Full-Frame and Medium-Format digital cameras.
Olympus OM-D E-M1X Review
Professional Micro Four-Thirds mirrorless sporting an ultra-high speed 20 MP sensor with 121-Point Phase-Detect AF on a 5-axis image-stabilization system effective to 7-stops. 60 FPS drive with blackout free view on a huge 0.83X magnification 2.4 MP 0.5" EVF. Even a builtin GPS in a dual-grip double dual-control-dial IPX1-rated weatherproof and freezeproof body.
Nikon D3500 Review
The lightest DSLR packs a 24 MP APS-C sensor with ISO 100-25600 sensitivity-range, 5 FPS drive and Full HD video capture. Basic features with simple ergonomics.
Time-Lapse Photography for Beginners
Learn how to get started with time-lapse photography in 4 easy steps.
Fujifilm X-T30 Review
The newest 26 MP 4th-Generation X-Trans CMOS sensor and X-Process 4 from the flagship X-T3 in more compact body. ISO 80-51200, 1/32000-30s, 20 FPS Continuous drive, Cinema 4K video. Dual control-dials and 2.4 MP EVF with Eye-Start Sensor.